John Scalzi wrote this piece to break down what 'cancel culture' actually refers to. It's a long read, but here's the key points:
- Being ‘canceled’ basically means learning that you’re replaceable
- ‘Canceling’ is certain people discovering that capitalism doesn’t love them as much anymore
- “Being Cancelled” doesn’t mean you never work, it means you work in the minor leagues
- When you’re privileged, consequence feels like oppression
- The age of (unmediated) celebrity social media is (probably) coming to an end.